Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Funniest Thing I Never Said

Sloth and I were at the co-op’s board meeting today with 10 Amish farmers when the subject of bin Laden’s death came up. Someone asked if we'd heard that bin Laden's father had 57 children. I thought of the funniest thing that could be said at that moment- “I had no idea bin Laden was Amish.”

But I couldn't pull the trigger, too busy trying to decide if it was appropriate or not. Just as I realized that although it was probably inappropriate it would still be acceptable, although just barely. I wanted to say it but sadly the moment had passed.

There's no doubt the place would have erupted in laughter. As it died down I could have added, “I should have known by the beard, by why didn’t he wear a straw hat?”

No comments:

Post a Comment